eMAG online shop

Monday 30 April 2012

QUESTION 6: What Do I Do If A Body Part Is Stronger or Bigger Than Another? 
  
 Should you skip it? Stop working the bigger side out? 
 You could… 
 Or you could let the non-dominant arm/side be the deciding factor when the set is over. 
 You probably won't notice this with chest presses. Most people are concerned with this
  when it comes to arm exercises. Especially biceps. If I curl 50 lbs 8 times on my left arm 
  and only 4 times on my right what should I do?
 Do 4 reps.  And quit. 

The idea of using a different weight has been suggested but in order for a body part to grow
it must be overloaded. I'd let the non-dominate side dictate the weight. Or have a spotter 
help you out.  I usually start the set off with my right (being I'm left handed) so that I know 
when I've reached failure. 

If you were to use unequally weighted dumbbells, then your stronger side would need a 
heavier weight so that you reach failure about even. But that idea, while in theory sounds 
good, only serves to keep the gap growing.  Why not let the weaker side catch up? I'd use 
the same weight. But I would let my weaker side dictate.  
 
Do you really want your stronger side growing faster? Probably not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment